Major in History
Students who choose history as a major must pass at least 10 courses in the department beyond the 100 level.
A member of the history faculty assigned as the student's advisor will help the student plan a coherent program of study.
Required of all majors:
- a GPA no lower than 2.00 in history courses
- History 100 or equivalent credits from the humanities sequence
- successful completion of the department's two capstone courses, Junior Tutorial (History 352) and the Senior Research and Writing Seminar (History 452)
- at least one course focused on the period before 1700
- at least one course focused on the period after 1700
- at least one course focused on an area outside Europe and the United States
- a grade of C or better on the Senior Research paper
- a grade of C or better on the Comprehensive Examination which includes the Senior Research paper and an oral presentation and defense of the Senior Research paper
Required for Distinction on the Comprehensive Examination:
- a grade of B+ or better on the Senior Research paper
- a grade of Distinction for the oral presentation and defense of the Senior Research paper
Required for Honors in history:
The Chair will invite students with an appropriate GPA in the major and a B+ or better on their Senior Research paper to apply for permission to write an Honors paper as an independent study in the Easter semester of their senior year. This application will include the agreement of an appropriate advisor and a statement of scope and intent for the Honors paper itself. Honors in History will be awarded to students who have:
- a GPA no lower than 3.50 in history courses
- a grade of B+ or better on an Honors Research paper written under the direction of a history advisor
Students enrolled in or credited with humanities courses do not receive credit for History 100, and no student receives credit for more than one section of History 100.